Mette Evans and Woodside, legal counsel for both the Pennsylvania Association of REALTORS® and the Greater Harrisburg Association of REALTORS®, provides a monthly column to our membership.
2018 Legal Columns
- January — Covenants Not to Compete
- February — Options
- March — Who’s Listening
- April — Buyer Agency Contracts
- May — Expletive Deleted
- June — A Listing Agent’s Right to See Your Buyer Agency Contract
- July — Vituperativeness – Is There Ever A Reason?
- August — A Tip From The West?
- September — Selling Real Estate in an Era of Modern Surveilling
2017 Legal Columns
- January, part 1 — A Little Help Please
- January, part 2 — Best of the Hotline
- January, part 3 — Tip of the Day
- February — Best of the Hotline
- March — Are You Kidding Me?
- April — More on Certificates of Resale
- May –The Difficult Client
- June — Communication Skills 202
- July — Your Seller May Not Have a Dime’s Worth of Recourse!
- August — Myths We Just Can’t Shake
- September — It’s Not Too Early – Renewal Time Approaches
- October — Terminating the Agreement of Sale
- November — Who Controls My Fees?
- December – Use Restrictions – How Do You Find Out?
2016 Legal Columns
- January — We Buy Houses
- February — Don’t be a RELWOC
- March — A Few Issues With Dual Agency
- April — Dual Agency: Use it When Needed, Avoid it When Possible
- May — Seller Has a Change of Heart and why the Buyer Can’t do a Thing About it!
- June — Do Your Advertisements Put You at Risk?
- July — Heartburn
- August — Best of the Hotline
- September — Deposits Paid After the Agreement is Signed
- October, part 1 — Best of Hotline
- October, part 2 — Best of Hotline
- November — We Have Other Offers
- December — Best of the Hotline
Pennsylvania Association of REALTORS® Legal Hotline
Key Information for PAR REALTOR® Members:
- Legal Hotline – 1-800-PAR-Legl (1-800-727-5345)
- Hours – Monday through Friday from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 to 3:00 p.m., excluding holidays.
About the PAR Legal Hotline
The PAR Legal Hotline is offered through the Harrisburg law office of Mette Evans and Woodside. Here are some points to remember during your call:
- The Hotline cannot substitute for your own legal counsel; it only provides legal information.
- Names or other parties or REALTORS® who may be involved in a particular transaction must not be mentioned.
- If you do not understand the information given, ask for further explanation.
- Hotline answers are based only on facts you provide. If facts are disputed, or if facts are not mentioned, Hotline answers could be different.
- The Hotline cannot provide legal guidance for your clients or customers. Advice is intended for your sole use. In case of legal dispute, suggest that the parties retain their own legal counsel.
Who can use it
Any REALTOR® member of the Pennsylvania Association of REALTORS® in good standing can utilize the Legal Hotline.
What you can ask
The attorney who takes your call will be prepared to answer questions pertinent to the brokerage of real estate and membership in the REALTOR® organization, such as:
- Act 112 (New Agency Law) and Act 47 (Agency Law Amendments)
- Pennsylvania Real Estate Licensing and Registration Act (RELRA)
- Rules and Regulations of the State Real Estate Commission
- Real Estate Appraisers Certification Act
- Conduct of real estate brokerage
- PAR Standard Forms
- Document review
- Association operations
- Due Process (Board Executives or Officers only)
What you cannot ask
No question will be answered on matters unrelated to real estate or on matters currently in legal proceedings. Ethics or Arbitration questions should be directed to Greater Harrisburg Association of REALTORS® staff at (717) 364-3200. Questions from unauthorized callers will be refused regardless of content.
For more information, please contact the Pennsylvania Association of REALTORS®.