Caldwell & Kearns, legal counsel for both the Pennsylvania Association of REALTORS and the Greater Harrisburg Association of REALTORS provide legal articles to the members of GHAR. Please take a few minutes to read the articles.
2017 Legal Columns
- A Little Help Please, January – Article 1
- Best of the Hotline, January – Article 2
- Tip of the Day, January – Article 3
- Best of the Hotline, February
- Are You Kidding Me? -March
- More on Certificates of Resale – April
- The Difficult Client – May
- Communication Skills 202 – June
- Your Seller May Not Have a Dime’s Worth of Recourse! – July
- Myths We Just Can’t Shake – August
- It’s Not Too Early – Renewal Time Approaches – September
- Terminating the Agreement of Sale – October
- Who Controls my Fees? – November
2016 Legal Columns
- We Buy Houses
- Don’t be a RELWOC
- A Few Issues With Dual Agency
- Dual Agency: Use it When Needed, Avoid it When Possible
- Seller Has a Change of Heart and why the Buyer Can’t do a Thing About it!
- Do Your Advertisements Put You at Risk?
- Best of the Hotline
- Deposits Paid After the Agreement is Signed
- Best of Hotline, October 2016, Article 1
- Best of Hotline, October 2016, Article 2
- We Have Other Offers
- Best of the Hotline, December 2016
2015 Legal Columns
- Best of the Hotline: Inspections and Estimates of Repair
- Best of the Hotline – Seller Disclosure – yet again
- What’s in Your File?
- Withdrawing a Listing from the MLS
- It’s a Matter of Writing
- Dual Agency..Again!
- Title Insurance – Owner’s Policy?
- Holding the Bag for Pre-Settlement Repairs/Improvements
- To Attend or Not? (pre-settlement inspection meetings)
- Yesterday’s Repair – Today’s Due Diligence
- Best of the Hotline – Dual Agent
- Year’s End Thoughts on Risk Reduction
2014 Legal Columns
- Best of the Hotline!
- Best of the Hotline – This room is huge!
- Winter’s Toll
- Who May Have a Copy of the Inspection Report?
- Drafting an Inspection Contingency
- Inspecting a Septic System That Has Not Been Used for Several Months or Longer.
- Best of the Hotline – Portable Hot Tub – a Fixture
- Best of the Hotline – Q & A
- What REALTORS® Need to Know About Auto Insurance and Why
- Working with the Inspection Contingency
- Title Searches Should Not Be Delayed
- Contracts 101- Unilateral v. Bilateral and Why You Need to Know
- Broom Clean vs. Present Condition
2013 Legal Columns
- The Follow-up Inspection – Who Chooses?
- Everything Looks Good
- Home Inspection – Another Reason to Rethink Waiving
- The Closing – What Do You Do?
- Post-Inspection Repairs and the Listing Agent’s Representations
- Prying Eyes – Reviewing an Inspection Report Prepared for, and Paid by Another
- Buyer Terminated for Lack of Mortgage Commitment – Agent Malpractice?
- Buyer’s Deposit Paid by a Friend?
- Does a Megan’s Law Registrant Have to Disclose his/her Status When Buying a Home?
- What’s Right? What’s Legal?
- Best of the Hotline: Who Gets the Seller?
- One Agent – Two Buyers – One Home
- I Referred a Client and Received a Referral Fee and a Lawsuit!
2012 Legal Columns
- Using the Notice of Termination
- Slips and Falls
- It is Not Too Early
- Need a Date
- Can’t Find a Date
- Beware Craigslist
- CMA and Tax Assessment Appeals
- Real Estate Licensee Assistants
- Reporting a DUI
- Sale to Straw Parties
- Listing or Buyer Agent: Whose Job Is It?
- Home Inspections and Timing Problems
- Whose Wood Pile Is It?
- Is a Non-refundable Deposit Really Non-refundable?
Pennsylvania Association of REALTORS® Legal Hotline
Key Information for PAR REALTOR® Members:
- Legal Hotline – 1-800-PAR-Legl (1-800-727-5345)
- Hours – Monday through Friday from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
About the PAR Legal Hotline
The PAR Legal Hotline is offered through the Harrisburg law office of Caldwell & Kearns. Here are some points to remember during your call:
- The Hotline cannot substitute for your own legal counsel; it only provides legal information.
- Names or other parties or REALTORS® who may be involved in a particular transaction must not be mentioned.
- If you do not understand the information given, ask for further explanation.
- Hotline answers are based only on facts you provide. If facts are disputed, or if facts are not mentioned, Hotline answers could be different.
- The Hotline cannot provide legal guidance for your clients or customers. Advice is intended for your sole use. In case of legal dispute, suggest that the parties retain their own legal counsel.
When it’s available
The Hotline is available from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Who can use it
Any REALTOR® member of the Pennsylvania Association of REALTORS® in good standing can utilize the Legal Hotline.
What you can ask
The Lawyer who takes your call will be prepared to answer questions pertinent to the brokerage of real estate and membership in the REALTOR® organization:
- Act 112 (New Agency Law) and Act 47 (Agency Law Amendments)
- Pennsylvania Real Estate Licensing and Registration Act (RELRA)
- Rules and Regulations of the State Real Estate Commission
- Real Estate Appraisers Certification Act
- Conduct of real estate brokerage
- PAR Standard Forms
- Document review
- Association operations
- Due Process (Board Executives or Officers only)
What you cannot ask
No question will be answered on matters unrelated to real estate or on matters currently in legal proceedings. Ethics or Arbitration questions should be directed to Greater Harrisburg Association of REALTORS® staff at (717) 364-3200. Questions from unauthorized callers will be refused regardless of content.
For more information, please contact the Pennsylvania Association of REALTORS®.