Mette Evans and Woodside, legal counsel for both the Pennsylvania Association of REALTORS® and the Greater Harrisburg Association of REALTORS®, provides a monthly column to our membership.
2019 Legal Columns
Pennsylvania Association of REALTORS® Legal Hotline
Key Information for PAR REALTOR® Members:
- Legal Hotline – 1-800-PAR-Legl (1-800-727-5345)
- Hours – Monday through Friday from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 to 3:00 p.m., excluding holidays.
About the PAR Legal Hotline
The PAR Legal Hotline is answered by in-house PAR staff attorneys. Here are some points to remember during your call:
- The Hotline cannot substitute for your own legal counsel; it only provides legal information.
- Names or other parties or REALTORS® who may be involved in a particular transaction must not be mentioned.
- If you do not understand the information given, ask for further explanation.
- Hotline answers are based only on facts you provide. If facts are disputed, or if facts are not mentioned, Hotline answers could be different.
- The Hotline cannot provide legal guidance for your clients or customers. Advice is intended for your sole use. In case of legal dispute, suggest that the parties retain their own legal counsel.
Who can use it
Any REALTOR® member of the Pennsylvania Association of REALTORS® in good standing can utilize the Legal Hotline.
What you can ask
The attorney who takes your call will be prepared to answer questions pertinent to the brokerage of real estate and membership in the REALTOR® organization, such as:
- Act 112 (New Agency Law) and Act 47 (Agency Law Amendments)
- Pennsylvania Real Estate Licensing and Registration Act (RELRA)
- Rules and Regulations of the State Real Estate Commission
- Real Estate Appraisers Certification Act
- Conduct of real estate brokerage
- PAR Standard Forms
- Document review
- Association operations
- Due Process (Board Executives or Officers only)
What you cannot ask
No question will be answered on matters unrelated to real estate or on matters currently in legal proceedings. Ethics or Arbitration questions should be directed to the Greater Harrisburg Association of REALTORS® staff at (717) 364-3200. Questions from unauthorized callers will be refused regardless of content.
National Association of REALTORS® Legal Guidance on Flood Insurance & Disclosures
In this edition of NAR’s Window to the Law video, NAR Legal Affairs tackles difficult member questions about flood insurance and disclosures. Calhoun v. I-20 Team Real Estate, LLC, is the latest example of lawsuits after major floods. In short, all members are being encouraged to counsel buyers about the need and availability of flood insurance, including in areas not designated high risk by FEMA. Members are also reminded that flooding is a material fact to a real estate transaction, and failure to disclose flood damage can result in liability. Please take a few minutes to watch this helpful video and share with others.